Wednesday, August 03, 2005

 

Sometimes it's news when everybody on the plane is okay.

After I got off work yesterday, I stopped in for happy hour and noticed CNN on the television. They were showing pictures of a plane burning near the highway. The dateline at the bottom of the picture said Toronto. My first reaction was that another terrorist attack had occurred. The volume on the TV was way down and I was unable to hear most of what they were saying. The plane looked fully engulfed, the smoke was heavy and the traffic on the highway was backed up. I kept watching, hoping that something would come up on the screen or the news crawl at the bottom to tell me what was going on...How many dead, what kind of attack, who was on the plane, anything.

Finally there came something. The plane hadn't been attacked, it had wrecked.
Well, that's good, nobody was blowing up planes at the moment.

There were over 300 people on the plane.
Wow, that plane was pretty full. I wonder if anyone made it away alive.

About thirty to forty casualties reported.
Is that how many died? Only about 10% dead. That's pretty good.
Nobody dead.
WHAT?
Holy crap! Everybody made it off alive! The casualties were only wounded.
Amazing.

This is news. Sometimes even though the picture is ugly, the news is good. Reading the reports today it seems everybody did just the right thing and it worked out right. A story for the ages.
After all, how many people can say "I was in a plane wreck"? And be telling the truth.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?