Friday, April 15, 2005

 

Things you don't want to hear

One of the most annoying things about being a guy is that you are never sure if that attractive woman that you are looking at, talking to, or hoping to get to know better, is attached or not. I recently ran into this as I was helping someone to deal with things that I had a better handle on than she did with some problems. While I was helping out, she got a call. She said it was from her boyfriend. I could feel the hope drop from my chest to my socks in a second. Now I recognize that there had never been any suggestion that there might be a chance at anything at all, but when it catches you off guard, after you spent a bit of time hoping there might be something there and trying to find out if she likes you, it is still a bite in the bottom.

I don't think that she noticed that I was feeling the way that I did becuase we were able to finish what we were working on, but I'm still feeeling kind of bad about it.

It's almost like when you realize that you might never play major league baseball or have the chance to date Kathy Ireland. You knew it was never going to happen, but you always knew ther was a (extremely, very extremely) chance that the laws of probability might smile on you.

The good news of course is that I haven't done anything stupid yet to totally rule out a chance. Good Lord willing, I won't any time soon.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?